If you feel pain when opening your mouth, jaw clicking or “crunching”, you may be suffering from the common problem of Temporomandibular Joint pain or Temporomandibular Dysfunction. Other symptoms include:
- Pain in the neck, shoulder and temples
- Unsure of where to “bite”
- Ringing in the ears
- Hearing loss or ear pain
- Grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw during the day or sleeping
- Constantly feeling fatigued
- Popping or crunching sounds in your temporomandibular joint
- Chronic tension-like headaches in your temples or above your eyes
There can be several causes of TMD symptoms. It is a very complex joint and thus, multiple treatment options available. Certain repetitive activities and overuse, much like other joints in the body, can lead to arthritis. These activities include chewing gum, clenching/grinding when stressed or when lifting weights.
It is important to take note of the times of day you clench and grind and make a conscious effort to keep your teeth apart at all times. The first step in any treatment is an accurate diagnosis. After evaluating your concerns, Lakeridge Dental will come up with an interprofessional treatment plan. The team can involve dentists, orthodontists, doctors, oral surgeons, physiotherapists, chiropractors or massage therapists
Contact us today for natural, efficient, and effective TMJ pain treatment.